Monday 13 June 2016

Another lucky kill

Real Life has prevented me for any concerted effort at solo PvP.  I had planned on spending a few hours roaming around lowsec, but then noticed an interesting class on hunting players in wormholes which I sat in on for an hour or so.

Suitably inspired, I jumped into the same Tristan as my previous roam and went out for a look to see what sort of trouble I could get into on a Sunday night.

I made a quick tour of nearby systems, which were pretty quiet.  I noticed a Tristan on scan in one system, followed a Claw into another (but lost him immediately) and jumped into another system to see an Incursus near my gate.

I quite fancied taking on an Incursus, so when I thought I saw him activate the gate, I uncloaked, burned back and jumped through...no Incursus pilot in local.  Hmm, perhaps he warped out straight away? Only that Tristan in local at the mo.

I burned back to the gate, jumped through to an empty system. hohum.  With pickings few and far between I decided to go back to the Tristan system.

Still only the one pilot in local, looks like he's at a small plex so off I go, took the gate, pre-activated scram and kept an eye on local for any incoming.

I land about 5K off him, activate scram, release drones, he targets me and opens fire.

I notice my scram is not on him, though he has his on me, so I activate mine again, stick on my webber for good measure, send in the drones and open fire.

My shields go down a lot quicker than his so I pulse my repper when my armour starts to go, my drones & guns continue to eat through his shields, I think I may have made a mistake to have set my repper to pulse rather than continuous as my armour almost completely disappears, only to recover back to about 50%.

Range is still good, cap is fine and I'm aware that trying to redo my repper settings mid-fight may not go well so I concentrate on activating it again as soon as a cycle ends.

This time my structure dips to about 50% before my armour recovers to about 25%, his armour is pretty low now, but I think he's got me...I desperately fire off another repair cycle, realise I should have been overheating guns & repper when there's an explosion on screen. Bugger! I spam the warp button to the first celestial I can click on my overview...so close, then I realise that my pod has armour & shields and modules :) It wasn't me who blew up http://killfeed.eveuniversity.org/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=366217

I dropped a gf in local which was reciprocated, then went back for my drones before heading back to base.

Things I thought about / remembered afterwards;

1) I didn't check my safeties again, which may be why my scram didn't take first time (or I may have tried to activate it whilst not quite out of warp)
2) I think he may have redboxed me first
3) For short lived frigate fights, may make more sense to not pulse my repper as it's likely that the fight will be brief (one way or another)
4) Remember to overheat at the start! (and to take it off if no needed or to prevent burnout)
5) Remember to scoop the loot (even if it's not massively pricey, every little helps)
6) There is never a six
7) I was using an overview without drones on it, whilst fighting a drone boat (which wasn't an issue this time, but it could well be if /when I move up to bigger ships or small gangs).  I have the overview setup, just didn't switch to it.

So although I came out on top this time, it was more down to luck than planning :)

Tristan #1
2 kills

No comments:

Post a Comment